Many many thanks to Cathy Cullis's very inspiring and generous blog post ! : here
This year, I decided to spend 10 minutes everyday to draw a plant with a pencil.
Simple and short time but everyday.
I have not done observation drawings for years! I tend to draw from imagination and memories. Maybe I have been avoiding? I think it will be a good exercise for me.
The outcomes (the pages) are not much to look at, really. But during this 10minutes that I am focused on how line flows in the plant's shape, much beauty is discovered.
Nowadays when I see beautiful things in everyday life, I just use a digital camera and click, click, take photos and most likely just get stored in my hard drive. This is bit sad. (although I am so grateful that digital cameras exist)
Trying to go back to an old and slower way to connect to and appreciate beautiful things around me.
Just my eyes and a pencil to be with the beautiful lines exist in the nature. I think it is rather nice :)
You can find all my sketches to date here -> : Daily Sketches of Plants
The other project this year is : sketchbookproject by Art House Co-op.
I've signed up to do a small 32pages sketchbook under the theme "Create and Capture".
If you have not heard of this, you might like to watch the videos on the website. Open for anyone and everyone. I thought the project sounds exciting to participate and that having a deadline (end of April) will help me to stick to it. Anyone interested? It is not too late to start now.
Feeling rather ambitious with the new year just started - but I think I caught cold my body is aching. I think I need to go to bed :(
Have a nice day :)
Erin

good luck with your projects erin !
ReplyDeleteHello Erin, thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I just perused yours & I love your work! I wish you a crazy creative year and hope to see many more beautiful creations!
ReplyDeleteI wish I had the guts to start a 365-thing but I just can't seem to commit to doing something every day - mayby I should do a 52 week one, that would work better for me I think... XO Mitsy
PS: I love the wool & fiber idea - so pretty!
love your drawings and collage style projects. am planning on doing some daily drawings but won't be too strict about it being every day ~ haven't started yet!!
ReplyDeletethanks so much for your comment and the split pea advice :)
xx
Thank you Jane! So far so good but it's only been 7days/365. :D x
ReplyDeleteMitsy thank you for visiting me here :) I am glad you like the fibre idea. Very very encouraging.. Happy creative new year to you too!
Hello Belinda, haha you made me laugh! - but I know what you mean..."daily" commitment can be daunting...and the point should not be about sticking to it strictly. I think I'd just be very happy after some times for having tried to work on my weak areas and have enjoyed doing - that's more important :)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGosh.....you're lucky, I've been trying to settle on a project a day since the last days of December, but I just KNOW I'll never have time to keep to it.
ReplyDeleteSo now I'm thinking it'll have to be a weekly project.............but so many ideas!!!
I'll be checking back often :)
Hi Erin - I like the idea of your drawing project, it feels so quiet and peaceful. The sketchbookproject is an interesting thing, too. Best wishes and "viele Grüße", Stefanie.
ReplyDeleteHi Jane very happy that you visited here!
ReplyDeleteStefanie, nice to meet you :) Your project looks so interesting too! Let's see where they might take us in months time... :)
Very interesting projects Erin! I love the idea of doing a small drawing project daily- Digital cameras are great but the actual siting down and totally focusing on something for a period of time and looking at it with the tenderness drawing takes is ever so delicious:)
ReplyDeleteAnnamaria I am glad you like the idea :) Yes the time like this is delicious :) and bit like meditation... Another lovely thing is walking on the street has become more fun now looking for treasures (plants) to take home to draw!
ReplyDeletewhat a fabulous project erin, very interesting... look forward to see more of it! hope you feel better. mady x
ReplyDelete