Sunday, December 18, 2011

a thought - on my need to scratch surface deep



The 9 porcelain bells I formed last week-end were painted today. 
I paint and wipe off the surface gently with wet sponge leaving the colour in the concave mark-makings I have made earlier.  I like this etching (print-making technique using copper or zinc plate) like effects.   



It is more than liking but rather a crazy obsession I have. There is something so strangely satisfying for me about scratching the surface deep and inking in the deep concave area to emphasise the line work as a means of mark-making - rather than painting or inking on convex or flat surface area. Well, for me...


I learnt etching techniques in my first year at art school (so long time ago!!) and fell in love with the process. I often go back to this using different materials. I must research around and find out why "digging deep on a hard surface" appeal to me personally so much. 


I think of relief work of hieroglyphs at ancient temples in Egypt I saw when I lived there. Whether it is a sense of assurance that it may withstand in times (fear of being forgotten/erased?) or to do with a rather unique identity of standing on the border of 2D and 3D or because it is so much like finger prints which are signatures and IDs.... or else? Whatever it is, it must overlap with my very message I've been trying to convey. 




Last night, my daughter(3) surprised me by showing off her hand sewing skill she learnt from Kindy. 
She did this all by herself sitting next to me while I needle-felted. I think it is very cute..!  
Then sewing or stitching is also a means of mark-making going deeper on the surface too.



I need to spend some time to research and find answers for myself one day. 
Definitely not tonight as I need to wake up early to go to work tomorrow! 


Good night!

7 comments:

  1. i think it is so interesting to read about your work process!
    i have fallen in love with the blue seed...can she be mine when she is finished?: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your bells-(belles?)- they have such beautiful shapes and their markings- :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vibeke, I'll happily save her for you :) I hope she will turn out how you like when finished...as it is unpredictable with ceramic work. We'll see! Thank you for your interests as it is very encouraging! x

    Annamaria, thank you! Quite challenging to come up to right shapes as as they are both sculptures and functional bells at the same time...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the musing and reflecting and the bells! it is interesting what each artist obsesses about. for me i find it compelling to draw the lines over and over again to create surfaces...it scratches an itch in my psyche so to speak..
    happy christmas, erin! keep inspiring:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful work erin , I understand your love of revealing the form that is there , your own hand .....
    I have kept the last one of my books for you(it has the deer on the cover too) ,it was a special edition of 10 .....after christmas we will sort out postage etc ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Erin.
    Thanks, I want to wish you very lovely christmas!
    That nice yellow wallpaper is from 70´s and I found it here http://www.tapettitalo.fi. Our house is from 1940 and I like to decorate with old things...

    ReplyDelete