A little French feel to it? Or very Japanese?
Last week, I received a parcel from my mother in japan. She always sends me home-made pickles, good quality sea-weeds and hand made clothing for us. So sweet.
I grew up wearing what she makes and still prefer them more than what I see sold in the shops.
Of the recent parcel, I particularly love these matching indigo linen dresses she turned into from a vintage kimono! - I thought I'd like to share with you here. :)
Love from her grandma
These days my mother buys unwanted vintage kimonos in bulk at auctions. The prices vary greatly depends on the quality but sometimes she finds gems in a pack of $20 with 10 kimonos!! Then starts the hard job of carefully taking threads off by hand to separate bands of fabrics which make up a kimono. Some are so old that the edges flake off during this job, take where is usable, hand wash them, mend them, iron them carefully ... then the wonderful creative part starts...

The collar is made of a vintage doily I gave to her earlier.
I collect them from charity or thrifty shops here :)
The linen is an amazing material. Being a vintage kimono, it must have been worn for many decades but it still has a strong body to it. it feels just wonderful on my skin.
"Thank you mum!" She keeps inspiring me still!
I want my daughter to be growing up knowing what good materials feel. But she prefers a T-shirt with Dora on it from Big W....... :( I hope one day she will appreciate these things around her.
Have a wonderful week end!
Erin

Your mom is a genious seamstress! I would proudly wear what she makes--just beautiful!
ReplyDeleteDawn, thank you! Mum will be so happy to hear that.
ReplyDeleteI really should learn so much more from her. My sewing skills are below basic :(
oh wow!!!! these are soooo beautiful! love the fabric, the colour, the design, just perfect; I agree with Dawn, your mum is really a genious, happy you :^)
ReplyDeleteThanks! I wore it to a kid's birthday party yesterday and loved it :)
ReplyDeleteoh your mother is the best, what a beautiful dress, everything about it is perfect... have a fabulous week erin
ReplyDeletepriceless! so beautiful. talent runs in your family:)
ReplyDeleteThank you mady for your kind comment! I really enjoy your stylish posts. You have a lovely week too :)
ReplyDeleteLaura, not sure about talent in the family... but I grew up watching mum making things and that has big influences on me. Is that the case for you too?
So beautiful...what a lovely mother you have! Your work is wonderful too!
ReplyDeleteThe dress was lovely on you.
ReplyDeleteLove to have met you.
Hope to see you and J again soon.
Thank you Jenny :) Wishing you a success at the exhibition! It looks like a very interesting one.
ReplyDeleteMomo-san It was so nice to meet you in person :)
PS : I did visit "Artisan" and loved the place. I think I will give it a try. Thank you for suggesting! See you soon.
Absolutely stunning. What a wonderful gift to receive.
ReplyDeleteThank you Lisa for visiting me here :)
ReplyDeleteThese dresses look so wonderful - and the whole process of making them out of old kimonos is fantastic!
ReplyDeleteHello Inger Marie, yes the process of making is so so precious... Thank you for visiting my blog :) I enjoy reading your blog!
ReplyDeleteI love these they are so timeless and beautiful. Indio is my favourite colour and linen my favourite fabric. Heavenly
ReplyDeleteHazel thank you for visiting here! yes I think they are timeless and that timeless has lots to do with beauty... I am just so glad my mother's creation received many responses!! :)
ReplyDelete