Sunday, August 12, 2012

New dolls

I am not a kind of person who'd make dolls. No. 
Even when I was a little girl I had lots of animal soft toys but not a single doll. Dolls never appealed to me as a girl. So it was a pleasant surprise that I actually really enjoyed making them this time!


Many thanks to the lovely returning customer C in UK for the opportunity! She wanted me to make a doll for her 6y.o. daughter. It's a challenge and time-consuming to try to make something for the first time. To make a doll with arms and legs was definitely outside my comfort zone. I said 'yes' just because I did not want to disappoint her, I thought "Hmm.. Let's see what I can do!".



Now I am in love with these little persons that sit on your palm. I made them in a way that their heads can rotate and they can sit by themselves without support. I think they are full of characters. I think I'll make more! So, what I learnt was 'never say never' :) 




In fact, my mother was a doll maker till I was 16. She came up with an original recipe for her clay with very fine saw dust, rice glue, fibre from newspapers. Once completely dried, when the body parts hit with each other, they made beautiful sounds like hard wood which was amazing...
The memories of watching her drying these body parts started coming back to me... :)



A group of vases dressed up with flowers! 
I love how they are only complete with with flowers and plants. 
The flowers for them act as dresses, accessories, the language that speaks for them... :)





Hope your week end was a lovely one!
x
Erin

16 comments:

  1. The dolls are gorgeous! You have to make more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dolls... and the vases, too! I'm curious how the 6 year old might or might not dress them? I used to make clothes for my collection of small, stuffed bears. I cut old wool socks and cotton socks and made them sweaters (usually more like vests). They lived on the bottom three shelves of my bookcase with all kinds of cedar root systems that i gathered from the forest. Ha, great memory, thanks for inspiring it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What lovely memory! Actually my daughter(4) cuts sleeves off my unwanted wool sweater and put on her Teddy bears and others. It's Winter here. :D
      By the way only one is for this customer's daughter - I just always make a few for a custom order so the customer can choose her/his favourite. The rest go to my shop. :)

      Delete
  3. These dolls are exquisite! I never played with dolls as a child either, but these are very different, more like a puppet; an idea I am exploring at the moment too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I cannot wait to see your puppet or what you will do with the idea around the puppet!! :)

      Delete
  4. See how it pays off to push beyond our comfort zone? Your dolls are gorgeous.There is something timeless about them- not restricted by fashion- (they remind me of ancient toys, maybe Etruscan or Roman dolls for children...)So are the vases...They are on my wish list for our new home...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Annamaria it is good to be brave and push beyond our comfort zone...! it feels good :)
      I like that you find something timeless about my work. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Gosh Erin your dolls are just so beautiful. They are totally alive! Can't you hear them whispering? Just absolutely stunning. I'd love to own one of your incredible pieces one day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Louise, yes yes they are totally alive! They won't stop giggling and whispering to each other :)
    Thank you for your lovely comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just come by for the first time to your blog. You are so amazing talented!
    I'm speechless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and for your compliment....:) Have a nice day!

      Delete
  8. what a lovely, interesting and inspiring read erin,
    thank you for sharing!!!
    like always for me your art are full of life and personality : )

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello V! I am glad you enjoyed the post! Warm wishes to you.x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness!! Such beautiful dolls Erin! I love your work so much - every one of your creations speak as though they lived and breathed!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne for your kind words! I am very happy to hear you love them :) Have a lovely day.x

      Delete